Thursday, December 18, 2008

a visit

I came from a family that would sometimes have Christmas  a week early because we were all too excited.  Mike's family was not so much like that, so tonight when we got a little surprise on our door step, we had a dilemma.   It all started when we were eating dinner, we heard a knock at the door and Jackson went running.  He opened the door and then we didn't hear anything, so I went to see who was there and Jack was walking back in the house with an arm load of presents.  There was one for each of the boys and one for Mike and I as well all from "Santa's Elf".  The boys were jumping up and down and as they asked if they could open them tonight, I smiled and Mike said "nope".  We went back to the dinner table to discuss it and I was thinking that if Santa's Elf stopped by early then it would be totally fine to open what he brought.  Mike sat there shaking his head at me with this funny smile on his face and I knew he was thinking about telling me how impatient we all were when Lincoln said " I think that Mom should be the boss of the presents."  Yay, I love to be the boss, especially of presents!  So in the end we made a compromise, the boys could open theirs tonight but Mike and I would wait and open ours on Christmas.  It was a perfect night, thank you so much Santa's Elf for stopping by our home.  Spontaneously opening presents a week before Christmas takes me back to being a kid and there is nothing better than being a kid at Christmas!


8 comments:

Arika said...

That so sounds like Luke and I! I am always so excited and ready for Christmas to come at the beginning of December and its close to torture to wait the 25 days! :) Luke's family however was just like Mike's perfectly content to have Christmas, or not, whatever. I am hoping that some of my Christmas excitement will eventually wear off on him someday, and he will remember what it's like to feel like a kid again :)

Love, Deborah said...

isn't giggling with excitement the best feeling! I hope it wears off on him too!! :)

Dana said...

Merry Christmas to you. Merry Christmas to you... We love you guys so much.
Mom

Jess said...

Santa's elf came?! How cool is that! There's nothing better than getting to open a gift early.

Holly O. said...

Uh oh. I found it. I hope that is okay!

Love, Deborah said...

:) Holly of course it's ok, but I like I said, I don't think you are missing too much! :)

Sarah said...

I'm sure this is no surprize to either of you, but once again, I'd have to say I'm on Mike's side. Today is Christmas, and I made my kids wait until 1:00 PM to open thier presents. I'm all about waiting! Christmas is on Christmas!!!

Liz said...

screw waiting! if you open all your presents early than you can really focus on the TRUE meaning of Christmas :P